Marathon Training

Running Training

Running is mental and we are all insane! At least that is what most people would consider thinking about those of us who run 26.2 miles at one time. So it leads one to ask where this crazy tradition came from. And why do people continue to become more and more fascinated by the sport of distance running. Despite the injuries and negative effects related to it, there are countless people who can testify that they have a love and need for running. And while I never thought that I would become one of those people, completing my first half marathon was just the start of a lifelong commitment to running.


As a distance runner the question people always ask is why the exact distance of 26.2 miles is considered a marathon. It all dates back to a town named Marathon, Greece which is located exactly 26.2 miles from Athens. As legend would have it a messenger was sent from Marathon to Athens to relay a message of a war victory. And after running the 26.2 miles and shouting the victory to the people of Athens, he dropped dead. So thus became the challenge of surviving running a marathon.

My running story began by standing at the finish line of so many marathons completed by my parents. Never did I know the training and sacrifice I would soon be putting my body through. The first step is to be realistic about having enough time to train. Picking a race is the easiest part, and there are plenty! Once a runner is excited (and paid the money to race) it gives them much more motivation. I found it easier to stay focused by finding a well committed friend to train with and by joining local running clubs. It's a lot harder to give up when others are counting on you. Also, signing up for shorter races that fit your training schedule will help keep you on track. I completed a handful of 5K races as well as a 15K race prior to my half marathon. As far as finding a training schedule it is all personal preference. I relied on my parents for advice but many websites and running stores offer them for free.

Diet is also a huge part of properly training for a race. Without the proper or enough nutrition your body can be more susceptible to injuries. And injuring any part of your body will only slow down if not stop the training process. I suffered a pinched nerve in my back for 4 weeks of my training and it was surely not beneficial. Trying to stay on top of a well-balanced diet with enough of the right types of food is difficult but will make running much easier. Food gives you energy and energy is the key to a great run.

While some people will not understand the insane "runners high" referred to as the sense of accomplishment after a race, others crave it. Like any sport there are risks of injury involved but there are also many health benefits. Keeping an ongoing balanced diet as well as heart and cardio health associated with running can positively affect ones moods, and motivation in life. I view running as my break from the day to think. It's the only thing in life you can have complete control over where to go, when, and how fast. Many can relate to the effects of running and once you realize how beneficial it can be, it's hard to let go of.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Emily_S_Speer

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...